The Importance of School Attendance
Research has proven that there is a high correlation between school attendance and
academic performance and success, while absence from school is often the greatest
single cause of poor performance and achievement.
Why is it so Important to attend every day?
- Learning is a progressive activity; each day’s lessons build upon those of the
- previous day(s).
- Reading the material and completing work independently does not compensateacquired through explanation or supervised drill.
- for the loss of insight gained during class discussion or the loss of competency
- Many classes use lectures, discussions, demonstrations, experiments andby those who are absent.
- participation as part of the daily learning activities, and these cannot be made up
- Regular student participation in daily classroom activities plays a significant role
- in a student’s school success.
Are there other benefits to my child?
- Students with good attendance records generally achieve higher grades and
- enjoy school more.
- Having a good education will help to give your child the best possible start in life.
- Regular school attendance patterns encourage the development of other
- responsible patterns of behavior.
- Students who develop an “on the job” attitude toward school will be more
- desirable to future employers.
What are the risks of frequent absences?
- A child who does not attend school regularly will be unlikely to keep up with the
- The more students miss school, the lower their grades; the lower their grades,more likely they will drop out of school.
- the less they want to stay in school; the less they want to stay in school, the
- Students who miss school are more likely to be at-risk for anti-social or criminal
What can parents do to help?
- Parents must model the value of education, including the importance of regular
- Make sure that your child goes to school regularly and arrives on time-you will
- establish a good habit that will carry through life.
- If your child starts missing school, work with the school to put things right. Make
- sure your child understands that you do not approve of him/her missing school.
- If your child is ill or must miss school for some other reason, contact the school
- immediately. If you ask for homework, make sure your child completes it.
- I Do not expect the school to approve of shopping trips during school hours.
- Whenever possible, arrange family vacations during school holidays so that
- children miss as little school as possible.
- Take an interest in your child’s school work and be involved in the school as
- much as possible-your child will value school more if you do.
Who else benefits from good school attendance?
- Other students: less classroom time is spent reteaching and reviewing for
- students who have been absent.
- Teachers: lesson plans are more likely to be completed when all students areuntil all students are present.
- present. Teachers must sometimes postpone tests or other important activities
- The office staff: less time is spent calling to verify reasons for absences.
Students absence is to be verified by a Parent or Guardian within 24 hours of the absence.
Legal excused absences from school are permissible for:
- Illness: if verified by parent
- Permitted 5 excuses per semester
- b) Serious illness or death in the family
- c) Doctor or dental appointment (verified)
- d) Prearranged excused granted at the Principal’s discretion
- e) Participation in interscholastic competition
Not excusable by State Law
- a) Truancy
- b) Suspension
- c) Missing the school bus
- d) Trips not approved in advance
- e) Shopping
- f) Hunting or fishing
- g) Employment (unless a school associated program)
- h) Drivers Exam
- i) Games
- j) Skip Day
- k) Parties, etc.
If a student is unable to attend school on a particular day, the school is to be notified by telephone on the day of the absence. Parents are allowed five parent excuses per semester. Yet parents have to call and excuse their student within 24 hours. We strongly recommend that you provide the school with a note for documentation purposes when your student returns to school.
Doctor excuses have to be turned in within five days of your students return to school. Failure to do so will result in those absences turning into unexcused absences.
Every absence that does not have a permissible excuse or exceeds the five parent excuses will result in an unexcused absence.
Students that accumulate 5 unexcused absences will be excluded from all extracurricular activities. (examples: fieldtrips academic or not, athletics, clubs, dances)
If a student wishes to forego exclusion from extracurricular activities they must attend a Saturday school for every unexcused absence. Their days have be to made up with Saturday school participation before the student can participate in extracurricular.
Students who accumulate 10 or more suspended days will be excluded from extracurricular activities.
Athletic attendance and discipline policy:
Athletes that miss 2.5 unexcused absences during their season will sit out a tenth of that sports season.
Athletes that accumulate more 5 or more discipline referrals during a season will have consequences.